Sunday, April 17, 2016

04/17/2016 | Safe and Sound

Kitami City

Map of Japan, Kelson is in Kitami

Hey everyone. This week went by really fast. Like really really fast. We've had a lot of adventures, and I've learned alot of diffrent things this week.

First of all I'll let you know, that we are all OK. Hokkaido almost didn't even get affected by the Earthquake at all. It occurred down in an area called Kyushu, which is where the Fukuoka mission is, which is on the other side of Japan. I don't know about the rest of Hokkaido, but here in Kitami we didn't feel anything. I've actually been told by people here, that the safest area in all of Japan is Kitami. Apparently the plates are situated so that, all of the waves that are caused by earthquakes go around Kitami, and never through. They'll hit Abashiri, but Kitami hasn't had an earthquake larger than 2.0 in centuries. At least that's what I've been told. Hokkaido itself is situated in an area that keeps it pretty safe. Even back when the large Earthquake hit Sendai, Hokkaido didn't really have any damage. No Tsunami's, No large Earthquakes. It's kind of interesting. However, it has been pretty bad down in the Kyushu area. I haven't heard any specific reports, but it sounds like all of the missionaries down there are safe. We are keeping the kyushu area in our prayers. It sounds a little scary. Apparently there have been earthquakes in other parts of the world as well. I guess the important thing to remember is that it is all necessary. These are the signs the proceed the second coming. There's a scripture that talks about it actually In D&C 45:33-35

33 And there shall be earthquakes also in divers places, and many desolations; yet men will harden their hearts against me, and they will take up the sword, one against another, and they will kill one another.

34 And now, when I the Lord had spoken these words unto my disciples, they were troubled.

35 And I said unto them: Be not troubled, for, when all these things shall come to pass, ye may know that the promises which have been made unto you shall be fulfilled.

It is all supposed to occur. It is what we have to go through before the Second Coming can occur. It is scary, and we should be dong all that we can to help the people going through these circumstances, but we should be Rejoicing. If we are prepared for the second coming, trying to keep ourselves clean, living worthy lives, these are blessed times. Only those that are unworthy should fear the coming of Christ. If you are scared, that's OK. It's natural, but it is a step in the process to the end of this life. 

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you. Not as the world giveth give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John 14:27

Another insight on fear, is the continual war we are going through now between God, and Satan, with us in the middle of it all. I was reading in Deuteronomy, which if anyone has ever done, knows that it is all the law of Moses. Interesting, but doesn't really pertain to us as much these days. However, I was reading in Chapter 20, in which the law for going to war was laid out. In verses 3-4, it says 

3 And shall say unto them, Hear, O Israel, ye approach this day unto battle against your enemies: let not your hearts faint, fear not, and do not tremble, neither be ye terrified because of them;

4 For the Lord your God is he that goeth with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you.

This is what the Elders were supposed to tell all of those going to fight, before they go to fight. It is a reminder to them, and to us, that it doesn't matter what fight we are fighting, who we are facing, how many there are, if we are on God's side, he "goeth with [us], to fight for [us] against [our] enemies." How cool is that. It doesn't matter if we are fighting temptation, and evil spirit, or even the evil influences from others. God is before us. As long as we do what he directs, and we are on his side, he will defend us. And when that happens, we have experiences like Ammon, were no one can stand against us, and we get people like King Lamoni to say things like he does in Alma 18:20-21.

20 And the king said: How knowest thou the thoughts of my heart? Thou mayest speak boldly, and tell me concerning these things; and also tell me by what power ye slew and smote off the arms of my brethren that scattered my flocks--

21 And now, if thou wilt tell me concerning these things, whatsoever thou desirest I will give unto thee; and if it were needed, I would guard thee with my armies; but I know that thou art more powerful than all they; nevertheless, whatsoever thou desirest of me I will grant it unto thee.

I wouldn't mind someone like him saying something like that to me.

Anyway, sorry for sending out a novel this week. Just some thoughts that I have been having. Thought I would share some with everyone. Remember to pray for those affected by the earthquakes. They could use your prayers.
I hope eveyone is safe and sound. My prayers go out to you always. I love you all, and we'll see you next week.

愛しているよ

Elder Eliot