Sunday, September 4, 2016

09/04/2016 | Military Bases, and Disaster Drills

Well this week came and went didn't it. That was really fast. So we had an interesting experience this week. We had found an advertisement a few weeks ago, for a Disaster Drill thing that was going on, and they wanted about 5 foreign residents to join them. Well we are foreign, and technically residents, so we decided. Heck. Why not. So we called them up, met with people, and went on over. So we joined up with a guy from Germany, a guy from Indonesia, and then 3 girls, one Chinese, one Korean, and one Polish, and we headed to the Military base here in Sapporo. I'm pretty sure we are the only missionaries that can say we've been on the base here. That was all cool and everything. So our little group went over to the base, and joined up with a bunch of other random groups that specialize in stuff like that, and even a bunch of Jr. High Students, and learned what to do in the case of a disaster. Apparently there was a really large earthquake, somewhere in Japan on Sept. 1. So to remember that, they do this drill every year. Honestly, I personally didn't learn an awful lot from it, because the 2 largest things they were teaching was CPR (or "heart massage" in Japanese), and how to make a stretcher with sticks and a blanket. It was like I was back at camp again. I even got to correct them on CPR in a few spots. It was really fun though to hang out with those people. Kind of a fun little activity to do toward the end of my mission.

Alrighty I have another interesting thought for everyone today. So I've been reading through the Old Testiment. I want to try to get through the Standard works from cover to cover, so I've started. I just today finished Proverbs. While I was reading through proverbs, a lot of cool parts stuck out to me, but there was one in particular that reall stuck out to me. 

Proverbs 13:7
7 There is that maketh himself rich, yet hath nothing: there is that maketh himself poor, yet hath great riches.
Of course the second I read this scripture, It brought to mind another of my favorite scriptures

D&C 6:7
7 Seek not for riches but for wisdom, and behold, the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto you, and then shall you be made rich. Behold, he that hath eternal life is rich.

Just ponder this for a second. Think about Jesus. How rich was Jesus? "...foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head." Not only was Jesus poor, Jesus was homeless. He had nothing pertaining to worldly things. Yet, did he ever have problems? Now of course, our mission in life is different than Jesus's. And despite always trying to be like him, we won't be. There were some things, that only Jesus could do. But the point is, don't go looking after Worldly things. "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." Seek for the things of the Kingdom of God. Think of Solomon, the one who wrote most of the Proverbs. When God says he'll give him whatever he wants, he doesn't ask for power. He asks for wisdom. He had just been made king, and is a little frightened and doesn't want to mess up. But instead of asking for lot's of money, so that he could build big walls, or a large army, or have a really comfortable home, he asks for wisdom to judge righteously. And how does God reward him? He gives him wisdom just like he said he would. Then, because of his righteous desire, he gives him all of the money anyway. Because he did need it. But, he wasn't searching for it. Does that make sense? Don't try to make yourself "rich" Don't Seek for [worldly things]. Seek for the kingdom of God. The last scripture that came to mind after reading and pondering this verse was this.

Matthew 16:25
25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

I think I'll leave my ponderings at that, and now leave it to you to continue to ponder and learn from. 

OK well have a wonderful week. 
I got clarification on my Homecoming by the way. My homecoming will be on Sept, 18 at 1:00. I've even got the address for you here.

259 E Alpine Dr, Elk Ridge, UT 84651

Hope to see some of you there.
愛しているよ

Elder Eliot